Computer graphics, games, a bunch of random "stuff", and a slippery slope between insanity

(to look for something specific try the search above or the archives to the right)

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ubuntu Linux 7.04, BFG Nvidia Geforce 6000gt, MythTV,

I haven't used Ubuntu in a long time, because I basically switched to using windows full time so I could always run the programs and games I wanted or needed to run. I also switched video cards, tv tuner cards, and hadn't updated Ubuntu in a long time. Most of the time my computer has something it wants to record, and since I have Beyond TV set up with my Kworld ATSC 110 in windows, I want to make sure I'm in windows when it decides to record.

KWORLD ATSC-110
However, the Kworld drivers in windows do not support QAM-256 in windows, because the drivers are BDA drivers. I wanted to try to set up my card in Linux with QAM-256 so I could see if I could pick up digital channels over COX Cable. I don't presonally have cable TV, but I do have cable internet, and my girlfriends parents have Digital Cable. I was wondering if I could pick up the channels for free, because usually you get the Digital signal as long as you have TV and you just have to rent an extra cable box to pick up the signals.

Installing Ubuntu
However, upon booting into Ubuntu I decided that my Ubuntu installation was too old to upgrade easily, and I decided to start over with 7.04. Most of my important information had been on a separate fat partition anyway. I formatted my two Ubuntu partitions which were "/boot" and "/", installed Ubuntu and booted it up. I had to turn off the "SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack" because there was static coming out of the speakers. Then I ran all the updates. I installed the gstreamer plugins so I could watch videos while I'm working on the computer, and will probably install VLC soon for the same reason.

NVIDIA Restricted Drivers
Next, I needed to install the Nvidia restricted drivers. I could have just done it the easy way, but I decided to install the latest drivers from the Nvidia website(100.14.11).

Edit: I forgot an important step when I did this. Before installing the drivers, I should have opened up "/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common" with root privileges and put "nv nvidia-new fglrx" in "DISABLED_MODULES". After rebooting I had some issues with the Nvidia driver having the wrong version, and X not starting before I fixed this.

To install the drivers, I first downloaded them from the Nvidia website. Next I had to install the libc6-dev package. After that I ran "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" in the console. After X closed, I went to the directory I downloaded the drivers too, which was my Desktop, and ran "sudo sh (driver file)". The installer then compiled a new package, and I chose to run Nvidia's X configuration program. After that I tried it out by restart X with "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start". Everything seemed to start ok, except that the resolution was wrong. I checked my "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf" file, noticed that the highest resolution was labeled "1440x1440" instead of "1440x900" like it was supposed to be, so I fixed this. After that, I restarted X and everything seemed good. System>Preferences>Screen Resolution seems to think that the frequency of the screen should be 50Hz or 57Hz, which is wrong. However, the Viewsonic menu says it's 60, so I'm not going to worry about it right now. Finally, since I have an LCD screen, I went to System>Preferences>Font and set the font to "subpixel smoothing" so the font looks better.

BFG GEFORCE 6600GT MESSED UP
Lastly, what I said about the Nvidia drivers causing that odd triangle on the top of my screen was wrong. I also may have forgotten to mention that my HD videos are kind of stuttering. The cpu usage stays slow, so it's probably something to do with the hardware acceleration on the video card. Also, ocassionally when I restart the computer, the screen will flash on and off, displaying the screen as it should be as well as with graphical errors. I don't know why. The only fix I've found so far is to turn the computer off for 5-10 minutes and then turn it back on.

I have no idea what's causing this. My BFG Geforce 6600gt OC might be a little bit messed up. It does have a tendency to run a little hot - about 60 degrees celsius but the shut off heat is well above 100. Also, the video card fan sometimes makes bad noises. It could also be an issue with the motherboard though. My motherboard is cheap. Of course, so was my card, but I got it on rebate.

The triangle is still on my Linux desktop as well.

I'm going to try to figure out the ATSC 110 HD TV QAM Linux, Mythtv thing now so more updates later.

Labels: , , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Copyright Stewart James Martin unless otherwise noted(or accidently not noted). If you want to use anything shoot me an e-mail, at least.