Computer graphics, games, a bunch of random "stuff", and a slippery slope between insanity

(to look for something specific try the search above or the archives to the right)

Monday, January 09, 2006

Laser Mouses

I have wanted a new mouse for a long time. I've had this cheap logitech optical mouse for a long time, and it works great but I don't think it's too great for gaming. I think it's 300 or 400 dpi. I'm using one with a higher dpi right now (forgot...600? 800?) that's cheap and made by aopen. I think the new laser mice from logitech are nice, but I can't justify spending $70-$100 on a mouse. That's why I've kind of been wanting one of these for; a while. They are an affordable laser mouse made by a company that makes optical devices like cd-roms. I think the resolution is set at 1600 permanently. Many of the mice from logitech you can change. There is some software designed for linux to allow you to change it. Some of them from logitech, the laser ones at least, have switches on the mouse to change it, which is nice. I also found out about mice that also have that switch made by a company I've never heard of called "a4tech". Some of their mice features seem kind of hoaky, but they're more affordable and they have that nice resolution switch.

It would really be most ideal to buy a mouse that I can test drive first...at least hold in my hand which is not incredibly likely to happen with the optorite and a4tech mice but I might be able to find the logitech on display at best buy or elsewhere. I started to think about all this because there is a well priced logitech gaming mouse at 3b-tech right here. It's really not all that impressive though.

Occasionally I will just think "sure would like to have a new mouse" but I sually forget about it eventually. I probably shouldn't buy one now though, because I just spent $70.00 on an audio player. Some of the mice sure are tempting though. Maybe I should go get a job...or sell plasma. My girlfriend, Leslie, doesn't want me to sell plasma. Shes says that it will make me feel weak and faint, but I feel that way a lot of the time anyway. Oh well.

Edit: I forgot to say why I want a high resolution laser mouse. I used to think high resolution mouses were hype...and they can be. If you are a person who prefers low sensitivity in your mouse it probably doesn't matter. however, in First and third person games I like to set the resolution up so I can look and move around quickly. This can cause a problem when any sort of accuracy is needed. In fact, in the PC versions of Grand Theft Auto, it can actually be impossible to hit someone with a sniper rifle because the gun target will skip pixels totally passing over something that is very far away. Using the Aopen mouse over my logitech mouse has helped somewhat, which is why I use it even though it is less comfortable and can make my hand cramp. The aopen's resolution isn't all that high either. In reality a comfortable 800 dpi mouse might be enough but why go 800 when you can go with 2000 dpi and a laser mouse(being laser instead of standard optical itself is a big improvement)?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Copyright Stewart James Martin unless otherwise noted(or accidently not noted). If you want to use anything shoot me an e-mail, at least.