Computer graphics, games, a bunch of random "stuff", and a slippery slope between insanity

(to look for something specific try the search above or the archives to the right)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Soundfonts!

Sound Font from Taiwan with love.

What?: Ok, so I figured out how to get 5.1 sound with alsa working. I just needed an asound file(I used .asoundrc) in my home directory. I'm still not totally sure it's working correctly...with dolby digital and I'm still incredibly confused about the mixer settings and I'm not sure any of my movie players are playing the dvd files right, but I'm much better off than I was, and being in Linux, I'm not infected with aurora, which is about the nastiest malware/adware/spyware ever. It's pure evil, because it doesn't just load it's own little annoying stuff it downloads and loads thousands of others, and the only software designed to remove it is made by the company that makes aurora. Words do not describe it's evil.

Back to ALSA. I'm curently working on getting midi to work. It was pretty easy because I found a howto thread for Hoary Hedgehog in the Ubuntu forums and all I needed to do was install a program, load some modules and install a sound font. I'm working on the sound font part right now because I was trying to find one that I liked best. The one above seems like a good one. I want to set up midi for use with scummvm and a lot of scummvm games were made using roland's midi instruments, specifically the sc55. This sound font is supposed to replicate those reasonably well and it's free. It can be found at hammersound.net but the servers that host the file seems to be a little overwhelmed so I found an alternate location and posted it here.

My sound seems to be getting some odd annoying crackley noises and I'm not sure why. It might have somethign to do with my sound blaster being corrupted or something. I dunno. Hopefully it will stop if I fiddle with the mixer controls. Oh well.

Edit: Well hell. Hours later and I still haven't gotten midi set up the way I want. All the good ones I could download are unpackable on linux(I should probably just boot into windows or install wine). Most of the good ones I can't download. I got one good one but it's so huge that I can't play music after it's loaded. Weird, I know. The other small one I got sounds very strange. I'm going to try this one. This time from tokyo with love.

More love from Russia This last link has the chaos sound drivers but I didn't link directly to them becaues it has some other neat stuff too and some info that's in english.

I think I'm going to use the Mega Sound Bank for a while.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Copyright Stewart James Martin unless otherwise noted(or accidently not noted). If you want to use anything shoot me an e-mail, at least.