Computer graphics, games, a bunch of random "stuff", and a slippery slope between insanity

(to look for something specific try the search above or the archives to the right)

Friday, July 22, 2005

Emule IPBlock list

If you, or anyone you know is using or even ever thinking a bout using the file sharing client "Emule" then you absolutely must block some IPs for security reasons. Now, you could get some software that would compile a large list for you but the nice folks at bluetack.co.uk have a pregenerate large list. I don't now how often they update it, but it's basically a text file and it's over 6 Mbs now. I couple years ago it was at least half that, and probably a sixth. That's a lot of ips.

In emule you can simply go to options, and then copy and paste the url in "Update from URl", press load, and after some downloading of the file, you're done. Much safer, much more secure. The ipfilter.dat url might work in other file sharing clients too. Amule is one possibility.

Disclaimer: I'm not promoting the sharing of copyright material. If you can buy it, and it's worth buying, do so. It's always more satisfying that way, anyway. However, it can be nice to try before you buy...especially on $30,000 software, or music you've never heard a note of, but that's not to the point...I think. Whatever. I'm tired.

I was thinking that if I keep posting stuff on here that I learn, eventually I'll be able to simply search this blog for all the things that I forget. When I get alzheimers at an incredibly early age and can't remember where I put the underwear that I thought I was wearing, I can always search this blog and find out some of the things I've forgotten. Whoopie!
Comments:
Blogger,
I have been researching file sharing resources and I stumbled upon your blog. Although this post isn't what I was really after, it made a change from the usual run-of-the-mill blogs I normally seem to find. I'm going now to find more information on file sharing. Take care.
 
Hi Blogger,
I was researching peer to peer file sharing related stuff when I found your blog. While this post wasn't exactly what I was after, it made interesting reading so I'll be sure to pop by again. I'm off to find out more information about peer to peer file sharing. Keep up the good work.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Copyright Stewart James Martin unless otherwise noted(or accidently not noted). If you want to use anything shoot me an e-mail, at least.