Computer graphics, games, a bunch of random "stuff", and a slippery slope between insanity

(to look for something specific try the search above or the archives to the right)

Friday, May 27, 2005

Free Games!

There are probably thousands, if not millions, of free computer games in the world. So, as I find some that seem interesting, I will be posting them, if I remember, as I find them. The subject of tonight's escapades is "adventure games".

http://www.agdinteractive.com/ was formerly called Tierra. They have created two fine remakes of classic adventure games, so far: Sierra Online's "King's Quest" and "King's Quest II". They also have another remake in production and a commercial game under the company name Himalaya Studios.

The remakes are made using "Adventure Game Studio"(AGS). There are many many fan made games using AGS, some of them mediocre at best, and some of them very nice, and most can be found at the website. Two I have completed are "The Adventure of Fatman" and "5 days a Stranger."

Something similar to the AGS engine is "Sludge". At their website is one free game "Out of Order", which is a highly enjoyable game, in my opinion.

I recently found yet another game engine, and there . I don't know why I haven't heard of it...maybe I have and I forgot. This engine is the WinterMute engine.

One of the commerical games using the WinterMute Engine is Juniper Crescent - The Sapphire Claw, which is based on a web comic created by a man named Steve Ince(he is responsible for the game too). Ince used to work for Revolution Software until recently. Revolution Software created a number of nice adventure game titles, the most recent being "Broken Sword 3". Two of Revolution's games is freeware, Beneath a Steel Sky(BASS) and Lure of the Temptress. BASS came after temptress and is much better.

You can get BASS from scummvm.org. Scummvm, which was originally a virtual machine designed to play Lucas Arts Adventure games, such as Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle. However, it has now included many other games. Two of which are freeware. The first being BASS. The second being Flight of the Amazon Queen(FOTAQ). One of the most recent game implementations in Scummvm is "Gobliiins", which is a sort of puzzle/adventure game. I think that's pretty exciting, because that game always ran very poorly on my system.

Well, I think that's all the games I've looked at tonight. I'm going to check out the wintermute games, and maybe I'll post her with my opinions.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Copyright Stewart James Martin unless otherwise noted(or accidently not noted). If you want to use anything shoot me an e-mail, at least.